Sunday, July 27, 2008

Washington State Route 11


On Sunday, July 27, 2008, we drove the length of Washington State Route 11, from Burlington to Bellingham. It used to be Highway 99, back before 1931 (when the route now used by I-5 was completed). Highway 11 is a very quick 21 miles, but it has plenty of curves with cliffs on both sides.

RCW 47.17.050
State route No. 11
:
A state highway to be known as state route number 11 is established as follows:

Beginning at a junction with state route number 5 in the vicinity of Burlington, thence northerly by way of Blanchard to a junction with state route number 5 at Bellingham.


SR 11 south terminus @ I-5
I had wanted to drive SR 11 a couple weeks ago, but some idiot ran his oversized load into the overpass of SR 11 over I-5. Thus, not being able to drive even the first 100' of the highway, I had to postpone. It's open to traffic now, just as long as your vehicle weighs less than 40 tons.

SR 11 north of Samish
Here's the halfway point on SR 11, more or less. The highway doesn't intersect any state routes other than I-5 at the ends. As you can see, cliffs and curves.

SR 11 north terminus @ I-5
After a brief stop in the old town of Fairhaven (long ago incorporated into Bellingham), SR 11 ends back at I-5.

Good drive! Now go take a hike.

1 comment:

AAllen said...

I just heard that Interstate 11 is proposed to travel through Washington from Umatilla to Osoyoos. Washington's SR 11 will have to change its name.