Sunday, January 8, 2012

Washington State Route 168



On Saturday, January 7, 2012, I wanted to drive Washington State Route 168, but it wasn't built yet. What a shame, really, because it sounds like such a nice drive!

RCW 47.17.335
State route No. 168
:
A state highway to be known as state route number 168 is established as follows:

Beginning at a junction with state route number 410 in the vicinity of the junction of the Greenwater and White rivers, thence easterly to a junction with state route number 410 in the vicinity north of Cliffdell.

SR 168 was codified in 1970, but the state hasn't even thought about building it, from what I can tell. It was meant to be a shortcut over Naches Pass (or a tunnel under the pass), so commercial vehicles could use Highway 410, which goes through Mount Rainier National Park. It would be a good alternate to I-90, I'd think. Instead of building SR 168, we're in the midst of widening I-90 over the mountains. Too many eggs in one basket?

1 comment:

Jared said...

Yeah, I'm still waiting on that one too! It would save a half hour whenever I go towards Yakima, and it's already mostly paved by the forest service except for the most difficult 10 miles or so.