Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Washington State Route 705



On Sunday, September 1, 2024, we drove I-705 into Tacoma. It's the fourteenth shortest interstate highway in the US, only 1.5 miles long.

State route No. 705:

A state highway to be known as state route number 705 is established as follows:

Beginning at a junction with state route number 5 in Tacoma, thence northerly to a junction with Schuster Parkway in the Tacoma central business district.



I-705 @ I-5 & SR 7
Under I-5, SR 7 transitions to I-705.

I-705 @ SR 509
You have to merge left to stay on I-705 and avoid the exit to the Tacoma Dome. Downtown Tacoma comes into view. Here at the junction with SR 509, you can see only one lane continues north on I-705. Two lanes exit left into the city, which is more than a little confusing, but that's where most drivers are going. Southbound I-705 has at least two lanes the whole way, but northbound has two one-lane stretches for some reason.

I-705 in Tacoma
I-705 continues another mile, passing downtown Tacoma and ending without a sign to transition to a city street, Schuster Parkway. This point is chosen as it's where there's a southbound onramp, but you can't see that from the northbound lanes.

We continued onward to the Old Town waterfront. I-705 is a fast road, so pick your lane wisely and quickly.

No comments: